05 Nov REPAIRING A BATTERED IMAGE THROUGH SOCIAL VALUE; A POSITIVE SURPRISE FOR AGM SEASON
Welcome to this week’s business and media intelligence. As the US election continues to dominate headlines, we have collected a handful of other articles we think you may find of interest.
REPAIRING A BATTERED IMAGE THROUGH SOCIAL VALUE
- How do you repair the image of a tarnished industry? You start with reshaping the way the biggest miner in the world makes decisions, and embed the non-financial values of society alongside the profit-making imperative. BHP’s outgoing chief external affairs officer, Geoff Healy, said in the last five years BHP has not seen any shift in its business greater than the movement in societal expectations. Read more on BHP’s changes in The Australian.
AGM SEASON: A POSITIVE SURPRISE
- AGM season has so far provided more positive than negative surprises, with many companies seeing their share price increase well above the broader market. Analysis by Macquarie Research showed that 13 out of the 49 popular equities that have held an AGM since September 30 outperformed the market by 2.5 per cent or more on the same day. Read more in The Australian.
THE WORLD’S BIGGEST IPO TURNED WORLD’S BIGGEST SUSPENDED IPO
- Chinese fintech firm Ant Group’s giant initial public offering – which had been on track to raise at least $34.4 billion – was suspended at the last minute due to changes in the financial technology regulatory environment. According to The Economist, the last minute halt may have more to do with politics, Chinese Communist Party style. Read more here.
YES, VIRTUAL PRESENTING IS WEIRD
- While virtual presentations will never be the same as in-person interactions, it is possible to create meaningful back and forth communication that will help you feel less anxious and more connected to your audience. Harvard Business Review says one way to do this is to virtually simulate the call and response function we experience during in-person presentations, such as using the chat function. Read more tips to elicit greater audience response virtually here.
CANNINGS CAN ALSO HELP!
- Cannings coaches have been busy hosting video workshops for business leaders, to help them prepare for virtual events and ensure they engage their virtual audience. We’ve rounded up our top six tips to help you Engage the Virtual Room.
Feel free to share these updates with colleagues or friends. They can sign up here to receive our daily newsletter.